Friday, March 9, 2012

Things I know I know

Warning: brain dump ahead

You may have noticed a little blip on the blog this week. A sign of life, if you will.

That was me, and I'm dipping my toe back in here.

Before you run off and unsubscribe at once (how dare I intrude on your life without me), I just want to say this: it's going to be different.

What? How? Why? Over the past few weeks I've come to a few conclusions.

I am The New Professional.
It's a part of me. A part that I really want to share with you. I tried so hard to squeeze it into a new little spot, but let's face it: The New Professional is here, on this blog, or it's not alive at all. I'm not going to fight that anymore. And at this point in my life, my mind is dominated with professional transitions and exploration, so these topics are more relevant than ever to me.

I needed a break.
After over a year and a half of basically the same blog format and features, I needed to break free of what the New Professional had become. So I stepped away, cleared my head, and branched out. Running away may have been the easy way out, but I'll say it again: it was necessary, good and productive. It gave me a chance to assess things without any pressure or timeline and to refocus my life. I trained for and ran a half marathon and got reacquainted with reading and writing for pleasure. Good stuff.

It's not about what I wear.
This blog began with outfit posts, but right now, dressing up doesn't really factor into the equation. Two months from now? Who knows. I still love clothes and dressing up, and that will still be part of this blog. I still believe there's a lot of progress that needs to be made in encouraging and enabling women to dress appropriately for the workplace. I'm just not sure I'm the best model. Plus, I ended up with hundreds of outfit photos, but not a single usable shot for the Christmas card.

I've changed.
Early 2010, when this blog started taking shape, seems like ages ago, and I've taken quite a few turns in life since then. I'm not much of a shopper anymore; the whole idea of going out and buying things has lost its appeal. I'm on even more of a budget than I was before. I've taken more of an interest in my health and have been exploring my new city and where I fit in here. Change is good. I'm embracing it.

I have the right to change my mind. 
This is how I'm feeling now, but I am a woman of many moods and many ideas. Who knows what the future will hold? I'm still interested in the style and fashion side of things, especially on a budget, so they'll probably make their way in. Will I add new features? Probably. My plan is to throw a bunch of stuff on the wall and see what sticks.

So I'm taking a fresh look at the blog and starting from square one. What will this blog become next? I'm not quite sure yet, but I hope you stick around for the ride.

I'm back.*

*Not every day, not with outfit pics, but definitely with the professional stuff, style topics and a bit of life thrown in.

16 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how the "new" blog develops! Here's to a fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! It seems like a lot of us are chaning what we're writing about, and I'm excited to see what you have for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Welcome back. My blog had a rebirth last year too. I was done with outfit photos, and I wanted to talk about life. I'm excited about the new focus of your blog. I hope you feel like you're being more yourself (which is always a good thing).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back friend! I was bummed that you went- and hoped it was just a brief respite, but I agree: you had to do it, get your head clear, and come back with a new focus. It's NOT about outfit posts anymore. In my own way, I've been struggling with a similar dilemma- I've outgrown the genre of fashion, don't want to plug consumerism even if it is "just vintage or thrifting" and feel like the purpose for the blog has shifted. So I applaud your return, your refocus and your presence.

    You've been missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Back!! Will def stick around. Thanks for keeping us updated! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!! Welcome back. I'm so glad you took the break you needed and you will be back to blogging. - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! Thanks for linking this to FB, or else I wouldn't have known, as I deleted my subscription when you said goodbye!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ bows and sparrows - Thanks! I'm sort of curious to see where it goes, too. :P

    @ Suze - it does, doesn't it? It's nice to sort of "grow up" together.

    @ Anonymous - Yay back at ya!

    @ WinterSundays - Thanks for sticking around! I appreciate it.

    @ Caroline - Of course...I expect a lot of people did (I usually do, when a blog goes away). Thanks for coming back!

    @ Jillsabs - Thanks! It's good to be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are back even if it is just in same way and not everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Lynne - Yay right back at ya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angeline: WELCOME BACK :)
    It was nice to see*read* you again-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lorena!! Good to "see" you again, too.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.