Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Project: Discipline


I've never been a fan of the word "discipline."

It evokes the feeling of doing what I should be doing for my own good, but with a lot of reluctance. See: practicing piano, stopping myself before helping three of french fries and putting that buttery leather bag back on the rack.

The key phrase: for my own good.

Discipline – when self-inflicted with a goal in mind – can be good.


So this year's project is discipline. I'm doing what's good for me, whether I like it or not.

Good for my body.
I want to put more good stuff in and be more active this year to get my energy up. Sure, it's always a goal, but now there's a plan and a partner in action. I'm going to drink more water, snack healthier (my weakness) and get reacquainted with the gym.

Good for my mind.
This blog is something I really enjoy, yet it's often the first thing that gets pushed off the post-work to-do list. Same with writing for pleasure. I'm going to write something every day, whether anyone sees it or not.

Good for my heart.
For some reason I have yet to pinpoint, our trip home this Christmas left me more homesick than ever. Spending time with those I care about is important, and I need more of it. I'm going to get over my phone-phobias and make an intentional effort to stay connected with friends and family near and far.


What does that mean here? More posts. More professional and style advice. More presence. (Not necessarily more of these touchy feely personal posts.)


What are you working on in your life right now?

16 comments:

  1. Yea! I've missed your posts. More style advice would be great since yoga pants and jeans have unfortunately become staples in my wardrobe.

    I love your idea of being more disciplined in the new year so you can do the things that make your life better. My word for the year is "focus" so I can stay true to my goals and who I want to serve.

    Welcome back and happy new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks, Sage! It's good to be back.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you are back :)
    I like your take on discipline...
    Heads up to a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word discipline - and how little steps every day can make such a huge difference in the long run.

    Great idea!

    My word of the year is connection and all that it entails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Yes...little steps are key!

      Delete
  4. I agree self- discipline can be hard. As a writer, I agree that it can be so easy to push your writing to the background. But I think you have a great approach to how you plan to discipline yourself. Good luck!
    Myah
    thehappyhealthywholegirl.blogspot.com
    identifemi.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the biggest discipline woosey (is that how it's spelled?). Anyway, I am working on finishing our rental house renovation and getting a little bit more motivation and pizazz back in my life. the work on the house has been draining me like crazy of energy and desire to do anything. I'm glad to hear you have a plan in place to move forward for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could do google+ hangouts with your family. I did and it was nice. You get to see them. You can also post pictures to the "event" so then they are there. All more fun than just plain old phone. I also did face time on new year's eve since I was missing the party. I saw you were doing well at this so far according to facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take inventory of what's being offered and find the plans that work best for you. http://dangerousgarciniacambogia.com: garcinia cambogia side effects

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.www.gloucsbusinesslink.com |

    www.latesteduinfo.com |

    www.sdwholefitness.com |

    www.fromplandesigns.com |

    www.conniedavisrealestate.com |

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make academic degree oversized payment on a buying deal and point out credit payments for the balance. If you are doing not have a credit history however have academic degree oversized payment, there's less risk you may not build the payments auto title loans in richmond. as academic degree example, if you're shopping for a used automotive for $5,000 and have enough money, you may think creating a payment of $1,000-$3,000. though the loan square measure terribly little, it will prove you turn out your payments on time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here.www.realestateinindia.org |

    www.family-estate.org |

    www.estateguru.org |

    www.real-estate-tucson.org |

    www.elkinsestateretreat.org |

    www.oaklandreal-estate.org |

    www.piedmontreal-estate.org |

    www.browardrealestate.org |

    www.koratrealestate.org |

    www.prescott-real-estate.org |

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that discipline is important!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are many web hosting companies to choose from. A web hosting company is a business that stores the websites, as internet use and businesses continue to expand at staggering rates, so do the choices available for web hosting
    medium.com
    www.amazon.com
    bitly.com
    medium.com
    medium.com

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.