Wednesday, September 5, 2012

It's in the (work) bag


A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I began searching for a laptop bag. In a "doh" type realization on the eve of starting my new job last month, I pulled out this trusty standby from a box in my closet. The perfect work bag was something I already owned.

This bag and I go way back. I bought it in college when I was interviewing for internships. I used it almost daily back then, and lugged it all over NYC with me in grad school, too. It has a large main compartment (big enough for any folders/documents/books), four outside pockets, two inside pockets and a zippered slot. Not too shabby for a $25 Marshall's find.

What to look for in a work bag:
  • Space. It should be big enough to hold everything you need, but not so big you look like you're going on an overnight trip. If you're throwing in a laptop, folders or notepads, look for a bag with dimensions around 9" x 13" x 3". Other things to consider: pockets, inside or outside (personally, I like outside pockets).
  • Color. Aside from Day-Glo brights and too-cute prints, I'd say color is fair game. Let your personality show. Remember, though, that you'll be carrying this bag a lot, so it should be something you wouldn't mind your CEO or clients seeing.
  • Fabric. Sturdiness is key, but you can also find some great bags in luxury finishes, too, if that's your thing. This one is a thick canvas with PVC trim.
  • Weight. Technology is getting smaller and lighter, so help ease the burden on your shoulders by keeping your bag light, too. 
  • Shoulder strap. It just makes life easier and frees up your hands.
What does this bag hold on a daily basis?
  • Document envelope. It's big enough to fit my supersleek work laptop and some papers, too. I ended up sewing a laptop sleeve for my personal laptop, so I can toss that in if I need it.
  • Umbrella. This is Miami, after all.
  • Wallet
  • Sunglasses
  • Make-up bag
  • Pens

What do you look for in a work bag?

16 comments:

  1. Love your laptop sleeve! My bags always had to fit a lunch too. And even though I don't often need a work bag any more, I would still love the colorblock or the gold one to hold all the stuff I cart around on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat a coincidence, i just picked up a very similar one at Marshalls too !
    Would you believe that even though i have traveled for work for almost 7 years i did not have a laptob and carry all bag ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How have you done all that traveling without a tote? I'm interested in hearing your methods. :)

      I love Marshall's for bags like these. I don't feel so bad about thrashing it around or stuffing it with lots of stuff.

      Delete
  3. I kinda miss my old work bags. I have no need for one now. I'd always choose a bright color like red or green, and lots of pockets were a must. I also used work bags in college rather than a backpack. I'm totally not a backpack girl--they confuse me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! If I were to purchase a new work bag, I'd go with color. Back when I bought this one (in college) I was still playing it safe (plus I was considering applying to law school so I was interviewing for internships at law firms...definitely more conservative than where I have ended up).

      I always went back and forth between work bags and backpacks in school. Backpacks were definitely nicer to my posture!

      Delete
  4. I always have trouble finding the perfect bag. Either it's too big and looks big or it's not big enough to hold my stuff. I just ended up going back to the backpack with a laptop case. I used it at work daily. I had a tote but often times that was not big enough. And it was too much trouble to switch at work. I had to go to meetings in other buildings and go outside so the backpack that had a top that closed ended up better than my tote anyway. I still have yet to find the perfect one. If I don't need my laptop, then I'm fine with different totes. Also my personal laptop is smaller and can even fit in some of my purses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just have to say I love that you show us Marshall's finds, or things from Kohl's in the $50 or so range. I read a few other work style blogs, and every time there is a post about work bags, people start tossing out $200+ things like it was nothing. I beat the crap out of my work bags, sure not going to spend a few hundred dollars on something that will inevitably get splashed, dropped, or have to sit on the floor of the bus or train for a bit.

    Target also has some pretty good work bags. My only complaint with theirs is they never put enough pockets on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! I am definitely more a $50 range kind of gal (if I even do spend that much on a bag), and I try to feature only things I would consider buying myself on this blog. There is plenty out there in a reasonable budget, no matter what that means for each individual person. Glad you're liking it, too!

      Delete
  6. Very cute bags, perfect for the working women.

    ReplyDelete
  7. USA Checks paid offers you access to paying bills with thousands of utilities, merchants, service firms, and web speedy cash auto title loans firms everywhere the country. the foremost common fee is $1.50 and your utility bill payment unit of measurement denote to your account in one to a pair of business days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To launch by quite the primary line of my statement – I do approximating to bestow associate tremendous as a results of world wide diary title. very it's associate Brobdingnagian work by him that I discovered associate dependable facilitate by his/her nice information. I merely envy to inform, delight sustain it up your work check cashing corona. usually i able to|i'll} be prepared to guarantee in conjunction at the side of your posting and alter. endeavouring ahead to your a allotment of mails.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this working bag and I just want to say that it could be more trendy. I'm a passionate fashion designer as well as Best College Assignment Writer and I found this article supporting for me because I am writing an assignment on latest handbag trends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the fact that you aren’t only selling these bags but you are also telling the story behind each one. I would love to get one of those in order to become more productive in my job search. I have already signed up with resume writing services NYC and the bag will make the final step.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for writing such a quality write-up! I hope other people get much help from this writing piece as well. Students struggling to write their assignments can opt for our online assignment help and get their coursework written by qualified assignment experts.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.