Thursday, May 12, 2011

When function comes first

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional mossimo gray dress herringbone three dots sweater gray pumps
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional mossimo gray dress herringbone three dots sweater gray pumps
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional mossimo gray dress herringbone three dots sweater gray pumps
Mossimo dress via Target - 2011 - $17 (similar) / Three Dots cardigan via Anthropologie - 2010 - gift (similar) / Mossimo Versie pumps via Target - 2010 - $10 (similar) / Black wood bead necklace - 2010 - swap (similar) / Silver ball earrings via Target - 2010 - $5 for two pairs (similar)

Outfit analysis: A simple dress and light cardigan help keep things comfortable without looking sloppy. There's just something about this sweater (the sleeve or body length, or both) that reminds me of those '80s blazers that folks used to wear with the sleeves scrunched up like this. Anyone else get this vibe?
___

This was definitely a functional outfit. How, you ask? Well, I had one main goal for this day (in case you're wondering, it was Tuesday...same-day posting is a little too hectic for me). I had to take my bridesmaid dress in to the tailor at lunch so it will be ready for my friend's wedding over Memorial Day weekend. So I planned around two things: getting completely undressed in the middle of my workday (and redressed) and having heels to create a similar leg shape as I'd have on the day of her wedding. There are just some outfits that don't come off and on that easily, or don't fall into place as well when you put it back on afterward. But this? This was easy.

Does function or fashion usually take the front seat for you? In what cases do you do the opposite?

11 comments:

  1. It depends on my day. If there is something specific happening, function usually takes precedence. If it's a regular old day, it's fashion. :)

    I love that dress and the soft color of the cardigan. I love those shoes, too!

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the dress!! it's so figure flattering and easy-to-wear. and choosing function was definitely the right choice!

    cute & little

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm usually all about funciton. I wear only flats because I don't have a heels lifestyle, and a little because my boyfriend is the same height. I work a blue collar job so the idea of wearing heels after work just isn't possible. I want to say about 50% of the outfits I post I'm running around doing tons of errands in them, so function wins more than it should. I acutally wish I could dress up more often.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ My Heart Blogged - That makes a lot of sense. Flats are definitely the smart choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I'm terrible at remembering function. I've worn hard to get on and off clothes for shopping and don't always remember to wear practical shoes. You look great and no one would notice that you picked function first for the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ rochelle - I don't really pay that much attention when shopping, either. but this time I actually remembered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with @Angeline here. I really need to be more like you and map out my day beyond what to wear to work. I often find myself in stilletos to my son's football practices. No bueno.

    I love the 80's blazer pushed up sleeves cardi. LOL. I totally love that style!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this look. Wondering about the shoes... I've seen that Target has some cute styles, but I'm always concerned they won't be comfortable, which is based solely upon the price point (kind of like judging a book by its cover, I know...) Are they comfy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dress

    Check out my new blog.

    www.kejiguide.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ I dream of diapers - They aren't my comfiest shoe, but they're not killers, either (at least not since I put an insole in them). I have another pair of Target heels (more high-heel gladiators) that are super-comfortable. But I can't say that these pumps are.

    @ Keji - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute outfit! I think you nailed both function and fashion perfectly. You look great!

    For me it depends on the day. For work, function always take precedence. But I try to combine function with fashion as much as I can. On the weekends, I try to focus on fashion! (and often end up walking way more than I planned in some really uncomfortable heels):P

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.