Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tweaking and speaking


H&M Cardigan - 2009 - $30 (similar) / Old Navy ruffled top - Linley's (similar) / Mossimo microrib tank via Target - 2011 - $9 (available) / Merona trouser jeans via Target - 2011 - $18 on sale (similar) / Gap belt - 2010 - $10 on sale (similar) / Enzo Angiolini peep-toes via Nordstrom - 2007 - $70 on sale (similar) / Yellow nail polish via Urban Outfitters - 2011 - $4 on sale (similar)

If you're following Linley (and I hope you are), you'll know that we recently did a roundabout swap. I lucked out an got Linley's package of clothes to remix and style. The package poured out a load of colors and fun fabrics, but this top stood out to me (and may even get a second pass before I send it back). If Sarah's leather shorts don't make it back to her, Linley's top might not either. I've actually already scoured ebay and Smashion to see if anyone else grabbed this top and changed their mind (no luck...yet).

I mentioned the nice high waist of these trousers before, but was searching for just the right top that wouldn't make the whole get-up too retro. Enter the ruffles and dots. About halfway through the day I realized I'd seen something like this before...on Linley. I was right: she wore a very similar outfit here. Thanks, Linley, for sending over some of your style in that swap package. I didn't even notice when it seeped into my brain. I may not give that back, either.

What worked
This would make a great Casual Friday outfit for offices that allow jeans. I wore this on a Monday (when most of the office folks were out of a conference and I was stuffing a lot of envelopes). I love the few pops of color on an otherwise basic outfit. Not only with the belt, but with my toes. Fun color, yeah?

What didn't
Hmm...not much, really. Maybe a better hair day would have been nice. :)

Have you ever recreated (intentionally or not) something you've seen on a blog or in a magazine or catalog?

9 comments:

  1. haha! love how you styled it - a cardigan over anything is golden in my book!! and loved reading what you had to say! SO glad you like what i sent!! can't wait to see the rest! (and do style it again if you get around to it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. like ur styling.....my office has banned denim so i cant wear with denims...but maybe with black pants or white jeans, this can be tried on!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable on you!!! Love the pop of color with the belt and love the shoes and nail color. Would like to see a necklace though, draw even more attention to that beautiful face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look is absolutely adorable. I really like your pop of color on your toes!

    itsmytaste.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the top on you, and the ruffle is really fun.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this swap!! You guys have such a great group of girls with completely accessible style. Keep up the good remixing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is both casual and put together - a real feat! LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ linley - Glad you like it! It is such a fun shirt.

    @ shooting star - yes! this look could totally be recreated with any other kind of trouser for the non-denim office.

    @ keri - I was wondering if I should have worn a necklace. maybe next time!

    @ corie - thanks! I'm so into yellow recently, but am a little scared off (since my skin has yellow undertones), so the nail polish was a safe way to start.

    @ my heart blogged - isn't it? I just love ruffles!

    @ keira - Thanks! Aren't these girls great?

    @ from suns to moons - thanks! I'm trying to step it up more with my casual outfits lately.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.