Thursday, March 10, 2011

Swimming against the current

J.Crew shirt - 2009 - $20 (similar) / Ann Taylor pants - 2006? - $30? (similar) / Nina pumps via Ross - 2009 - $15 (similar) / Braided belt via Bows and Arrows - 2010 - $7 (similar)

I don't know how to describe this shirt other than salmon colored. Which is funny, because salmon are silver on the outside, and more orange on the inside than pink. Hmm, maybe this isn't actually salmon colored. Oh well.

I have a confession to make—I'm in a rut. Not stylistically, but blog-listically. For the past several days, I haven't been able to figure it out, but I just came to an epiphany. I think this rut can be blamed on the fact that I have all these old photos to post eventually (quite a few, really), and I feel like I should post them before they get to old. Problem is, they're not that interesting, and I don't have as much to say about them a month later.

So in order to save you the grief of reading another 10 or so old posts where I have nothing to say, I'm scrapping that plan and starting anew (well, next week, I guess) with the more current stuff. I just need to shed the weight off my shoulders. But I did promise you my flops, so I'll be uploading the old stuff to The New Professional's Facebook page this weekend as exclusives over there! Wait, you don't "like" The New Professional yet? Go do it.

What worked
I love this classic combo of trousers and a button-up, and I really like how the colors and textures here are more unexpected and feminine. The fun shoes and the brown belt really add a nice touch.

What didn't
The fit was a bit awkward. I'm finding that my low-rise pants, while they fit all well and good, don't really play well with my recent(ish) penchant for tucking things in. Even with my extra-long J.Crew shirts, they look awkward. I need some higher-waisted stuff.

Are you a pants tucker? What tips do you have for making sure your shirt and pants play nice?

11 comments:

  1. I have a few photos from a while ago that I'm thinking about skipping as well. I wish you'd added a statement necklace to that top, I feel like it would have made it look so much more feminine. Other than that I love this outfit!

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes, totally agree with you on low rise pants! They cut me off at my widest... not really flattering. This is why I've been steering towards skirts or skinny pants with blousey shirts. If you find a good pair of higher rise pants, please let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love the top. So springy and pretty! I think you're right about the pants -- you look cute here, but as a general matter I think higher waists are more flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a clean, minimal and flattery look! I love its simplicity and pale/subtle/soft color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That colour looks great on you!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh. I'm actually in the same blog rut right now. (Seriously, the post I just queued up for tomorrow features an outfit from January 26. Seriously.) I totally sympathize!

    For tucking shirts in, I generally like a mid to high rise. For me, a little definition at the waist really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a shirt tucker. The ONLY time I did it was when I tried to dress like you. I feel professional. New.

    Glad I got to hang wid yas baby. You are the bubble in my favorite champagne. -Bella Q
    Enter to Win My Shabby Apple Dress Give-Away- the Citizen Rosebud

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Rochelle Approved - Good point! You know, I may have had one (if you look really closely at that first photo), but apparently I didn't photograph it and I can't remember which necklace it was. :(

    @ Nicole - I will! I'm on the lookout for some slim-cut pants, too. I love my trousers, but am thinking it'd be nice to switch it up sometimes, too.

    @ Kinsey - Thanks, hon! Will be posting the pics this weekend!

    @ Elizabeth - I KNOW! Well, now I do. I curse my generation of low-rise pants-wearers.

    @ Vanessa - Thanks! I think the colors are my favorite part. :)

    @ t - thanks!

    @ Jeanna - true story: I didn't know I had a waist until this year. I always assumed I was boy-straight. Silly me.

    @ The Citizen Rosebud - Teehee. Shady Lady was definitely fun! We have to get together more often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this outfit. I didn't notice the awkward tucking at all.
    I'm not a pants tucker because my legs are too long and my torso is too short. I mean to say, I like to elongate my torso more so I don't tuck things in. (See how I spun that there.)

    I do tuck things in all the time even though every time I say I don't like it. My tips involve wearing skirts with tights/pantyhose and tuck your shirt into that. With pants, I have 0 tips.

    Also above you mentioned not knowing you had a waist until this year. I remember you commented on one of my posts about your lack of definition and I was shocked and said it looked like you had one.

    Colleen
    http://scrapandrun.blogspot.com/
    My rut is also being too far behind and I even average about 1.7 posts a day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Colleen - I probably noticed it more since I remember it being a little uncomfortable. :)

    My hose usually are much higher than the waistline of my skirt, so I can't tuck it into that. I don't really mind a little bit of blousing, though (hides the mini-muffin top).

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.